A picture is worth a thousand words, right? Wrong! Well, at least when it comes to selling a product online, that is. The truth is that detailed, interesting product descriptions are incredibly important when it comes to convincing a potential customer to make a conversion.
Here are just a few reasons why detailed product descriptions can make or break the sale:
- They help you in establishing an emotional connection with your customers: By providing the customer with a solution to their problem in your product description, you will be establishing a sense of trust and improving the chances of them opting to make a conversion.
- They allow you to provide customers with reasons as to why the product which you are offering is the best choice for their needs: Why should the customer buy this particular product as opposed to the product offered by another online store? Ensure that you list any important specs and special features that may help the customer to make a decision to purchase.
- They help to improve your SEO and thus increase traffic to your website: The more interesting, useful text, the better – especially in the eyes of Google and other search engines. If possible (without affecting the overall quality of the description), throw in a few strategic keywords for good measure.
Tips for Writing an Effective Product Description
Do you want to learn how to create product descriptions that drive sales? We have a few helpful tips for you:
- Speak directly to your customers and alter your tone according to the person who you think would be interested in buying the product. For example, if you are selling back-to-school supplies, keep your tone young and funky and explain exactly how the supplies will help kids to make the most of their studies this year.
- Ensure that the product description is easy to read. Steer clear of long-winded sentences and break the text into paragraphs wherever possible.
- When talking about features and / or benefits, list in point-form for easy reference.
- Tell a story. Your descriptions should be more than a simple break-down of specs. Instead, you should put yourself in your potential customers’ shoes and describe to them how the product will solve their problems or improve their quality of life.
By paying attention to your product descriptions, you will be giving yourself ‘the edge’ over your competition, as very few companies are aware of the impact and importance of this seemingly ‘insignificant’ aspect of an online store. However, be sure to keep in mind that even if your product descriptions are incredibly enticing, potential customers will not make a conversion if you cannot guarantee them safe, secure payments.