Since 2010, the popularity of online shopping has been booming in Nigeria, with a survey showing that 38% of the entire population shops online. Between 2010 and 2012, the number of online shoppers increased by a steady 25% each year, and stats showing over 57 million internet users in Nigeria only serve to cement the success and predicted growth of online shopping in the country. ¹
In light of this, it isn’t hard to see why Nigerian e-Commerce stores are popping up all over the internet! If you want to start your own e-Commerce website, or perhaps take your brick-and-mortar store online to broaden your sales prospects, you’re going to need some information on how to get started.
Here’s what you need to know before you start your own e-Commerce website:
- Have a plan. Although you probably know what you want to sell, you need to have a clear, concise business plan that includes your products, where you will be sourcing your goods, and what kind of resources you need on board to help you. You also need to do accurate pricing plans.
- As with any other kind of business, you need to register your company and open a business bank account.
- Naturally, you will need a great website for your e-Commerce store. Here are the steps to keep in mind when it comes to your website:
- Firstly, the overall site structure needs to be determined. What will the user journey be?
- What will your company’s colours look like? What type of design and imagery?
- Are you including a Wishlist functionality as well as the shopping cart functionality (you should!)?
- Who will design your website – and do they offer development services too? It is always better to have a professional handle the design and development so that your site looks great and works optimally.
- Where will your website be hosted and how much storage space will it have?
- Do adequate research on delivery options and find a good, reliable courier service to have on board.
- What will your customers’ payment options be? It is best to get a secure payment gateway system that offers your customers multiple secure payment methods.
- How do you intend on marketing your online store? Draw up a marketing plan and be sure to include social media in your efforts.
Now that you have some info on starting your e-Commerce store, all that’s left to do is start planning! We can help you with step 6 when you’re getting up and running. For a safe, verified payment gateway system that will give your customers peace of mind, contact us today.